At Scoffield Stone we have an experienced team that can assist you with any aspect of letting your property. Whether you are a first time Landlord or more experienced with an established property portfolio, we can offer a service which can be tailor made to meet your individual requirements. With both a straight forward tenant find or a comprehensive Lettings and Management service, you can decide which option is best for you.
The first step on the road to letting your property is for us to provide you with a free, no obligation rental appraisal. Along with our separate Landlord’s Information booklet, we will give you a detailed explanation of all the current legislation and of the documentation required prior to the letting of your property. This will include the Energy Performance Certificate, Gas Safety Record, Periodic Electrical Inspection, Furniture and Furnishings Regulations and the Tenancy Deposit Scheme to ensure that you are aware of your responsibilities and obligations as a landlord. Moving forward we will keep you fully informed through every step of the lettings process.
As part of our lettings service we will:
- Advertise your property on Rightmove, On The Market and our Scoffield Stone website, along with social media marketing via Facebook and Twitter.
- Find and thoroughly vet your tenant(s). The referencing process involves a credit check, attainment of employment, Landlord’s references and confirmation of affordability.
- Prepare a detailed written and photographic inventory and schedule of condition of the property at the beginning of any tenancy. This will be referred back to during and at the end of the tenancy, with the tenants expected to return the property in the same condition as at the start of the tenancy, making allowances for fair wear and tear.
- Prepare the tenancy agreement which will incorporate the current legislation.
- Obtain and process the first month’s rent and security deposit for you. The deposit will be protected in a government approved scheme.
- Inform the utility providers and council tax department of the new tenant’s details to ensure that they are responsible for the bills during the tenancy.
- Should you decide to pursue a full management package, you can rest assured that your property is being closely monitored throughout the duration of the tenancy.
As well as the above, our Management Service includes:
- Monthly statement following the collection of the rent, which will be paid into your bank account.
- Periodic inspections of the property after which a report will be sent to you detailing any issues of concern.
- Undertaking of remedial works where instructed by you. Any faults reported by the tenants or noted during an inspection will be reported to you, at which point we can recommend a number of reliable local tradesmen to attend to any issue.
- Final inspection of the property when the tenant has vacated to ensure that it is returned to you in an acceptable standard, prior to the return of the security deposit.
Preparing for every eventuality
The referencing process is modelled in such a way that, with the help of an external referencing company we can find you the most suitable tenant(s) possible. Sometimes, unforeseen circumstances can see a tenant defaulting on their rent. To safeguard your position, we offer a specialist landlord’s insurance policy (rental warranty) via our referencing company. A rental warranty can provide peace of mind in the unlikely event that you need it.
What can we do for you?
If you are considering letting out a property or would like some advice as to how to get started, then our established lettings team would be more than happy to help. We offer a roster of professional services allowing you to select your level of involvement with the letting and management of your property. With the option of a straight forward advertisement and tenant find service or alternatively a comprehensive management service, you can decide which approach best suits your needs.
For some useful information, download this HMRC How To Let Guide